Abington: Early morning fire started by cigarette sends two to hospital

A fire in Abington on Monday morning that sent two people to the hospital is being blamed on cigarette smoking materials.

Crews were called to 635 Hancock Street right around 3 a.m. Monday for a report of fire in the first floor. When they arrived, crews found fire in a bedroom of the 1 ½ story, three-family, wood frame home.

Abington Fire Chief John Nuttall said 24-year-old woman and a 53-year-old woman, the only residents of the building, were taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

Fire Chief Nuttall said that an investigation by his department and the State Fire Marshal’s office determined the fire was caused by a dropped, or improperly disposed of, cigarette. He said that the smoke detectors in the home had been disabled, leaving the residents in serious danger.

The fire was contained to the bedroom where the fire started, and the scene was cleared by 6 a.m. Fire Chief Nuttall estimated the damage to the structure at $20,000.

Rockland, Weymouth and Holbrook all provided mutual aid.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Katherine Perry

Katherine Perry, a graduate of Duxbury High School and The University of Massachusetts at Amherst, has really made her mark since her arrival at WATD. She is the daughter of the owner, Ed Perry, but that doesn't stop Katherine from consistently nailing out a solid news cast. She also works as a reporter, and specializes in in-depth features.