Abington: Chief says fire in ‘antique home’ started near an electrical outlet

Fire investigators say a 2-alarm fire in Abington Wednesday morning, started near an electrical outlet inside an antique home at 989 Plymouth Street.

Fire Chief John Nuttall says a passerby called 911 to report the fire right around 10:45am.

At one point, the chief ordered all crews out of the building at 989 Plymouth Street, due to the heavy fire. Chief Nuttall says one fire fighter was taken to the hospital after helping to battle the fire. The firefighter was checked out, treated, and released for what is being called over-exertion.

Nuttall says preliminary investigations show the fire in the vacant building started near an electrical outlet, and quickly traveled through the walls into the void spaces of the home. State Fire Marshal investigators cleared the scene Wednesday afternoon, almost 4 hours after the call of fire was reported.

Nuttall says the building, a 1.5 story home with an attached barn, has been turned over to the owners.

Rockland, Abington, Holbrook, Whitman helped at the scene, while Weymouth provided station coverage.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Steven Dodrill

Steven Dodrill left the WATD news team in 2013. "Follow" him on Twitter At Franklin Pierce, Steven worked to introduce new forms of media like YouTube, and Twitter to the Franklin Pierce community.  Steven graduated Cum Laude and with honors in Mass Communication from Franklin Pierce University in May of 2009. Steven focused his education and experience in New Hampshire around sports broadcasting, digital media, broadcast journalism, news, media production, and political reporting. "Like" him on Facebook Dodrill also interned with the Harwich Mariners of the Cape Cod Baseball League during the summer of 2007, and most recently in the spring of 2009 he completed an internship in the newsroom at WMUR-TV in Manchester, NH.