Randolph: Authorities think candle sparked deadly house fire

Authorities are narrowing down the cause of a house fire that killed an elderly Randolph couple over the weekend.

Fire captain James Hurley tells WATD that crews were called to the home at 35 Collins Avenue shortly before 1:30 a.m. on Sunday, and found heavy smoke.

The unidentified couple had suffered cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Autopsies are expected on Monday.

The couple’s daughter, who lived with them, was out with friends at the time.

It took approximately 45 minutes to knock down the fire, which Hurley says was apparently accidentally started in the basement by a candle. 

The house is a total loss.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Garo Hagopian

Garo Hagopian has been a member of the WATD family as a weekend news anchor since 2008, and has been a writer-producer-editor at WBZ in Boston since 1996.