Scitutate: Fishing pier to receive funding for renovation


Scituate received the okay Thursday for funding that would put one of the town’s major pieces of infrastructure back in ship-shape.

Scituate Habormaster Mark Patterson says the Seaport Advisory Council voted to recommend $325,600 for the rehabilitation and modernization of the Scituate commercial fishing pier at its spring meeting at the Scituate Maritime Center on Thursday.

Patterson says the pier hasn’t seen any major work since 1981. In 2010, an evaluation found numerous parts of the pier in need of immediate repair or replacement.

Patterson says that the pier represents $6 million a year in the region’s economy, and is the main support for the town’s year-round commercial fishing industry, serving 15 large commercial boats and a fleet of smaller vessels.

The money voted Thursday will fund 80% of the $407,000 project pricetag, with the remaining 20% to come from Scituate’s waterways enterprise fund.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Katherine Perry

Katherine Perry, a graduate of Duxbury High School and The University of Massachusetts at Amherst, has really made her mark since her arrival at WATD. She is the daughter of the owner, Ed Perry, but that doesn't stop Katherine from consistently nailing out a solid news cast. She also works as a reporter, and specializes in in-depth features.