We got some great recipes from last week’s show. Here’s a recipe for Split Pea with Ham Soup from Haddad’s Ocean Café. Be sure to tune in tonight after the 6 o’clock news for more recipes.
Split Pea with Ham Soup (Haddad’s Ocean Café)
1 Spiral cut ham ¾ Cup of Celery
2 tbsp of chopped garlic Salt and Pepper
1 Onion Small amount of butter
1 Bag of split peas 1 cup of baby carrots
- Trim the meat, as much as you can from a spiral cut ham
- Boil the bone in a couple of quarts of water for an hour or more, add water as necessary
- Remove bone from water, let cool
- Add 1 bag of split peas to the water, let boil for 30 minutes to an hour, add water as necessary
- Stir occasionally to prevent peas from sticking to pot
- Dice ½ medium onion
- Dice ¾ cup of celery
- Two tbsp of chipped garlic
- Sauté onion, celery and garlic in pan with olive oil and a small dab of butter. Add salt and pepper for flavor
While sautéing, de-bone the ham, remove as much meat as possible and chop into chunks. Add ham chunks to sauté pan as onion caramelizes. (Give bone to dog, good dog!) After a few minutes of cooking while stirring occasionally, remove from heat and dump into pot with peas. Reduce heat but maintain boil for 15-20 minutes. Stir soup regularly to prevent sticking to pot. Add 1 cup baby carrots. Return to low boil for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and let simmer until serving, keep stirring the soup occasionally while simmering.