The regional dispatch center opened in January and Hingham, Hull, Norwell, and Cohasset have officially moved in.
Grant money totaling about $5 million was used to construct the new center, which is found in Hingham Town Hall, as well as to purchase new technology.
But according to the center’s Executive Director Al Wallace, dispatchers recently reported smells of natural gas which he discovered was caused by lightning.
“The damage caused a small leak and the vendor who is on contract was immediately called, responded, had to go through a series of steps including ordering special parts that they didn’t have in place, and since then I’m keeping my fingers crossed that we won’t get struck by lightning again,” says Wallace
Wallace explains the gas valve that failed was part of new construction for the building but believes the valve is not under warrantee.
The Massachusetts Department of Labor conducted an inspection of the regional dispatch center because the heating and air conditioning units were damaged by the lightning bolt as well, but according to Wallace the inspector views the center as a positive environment. However, the state’s final report has yet to be received.