Brockton: Firefighters battle 3 alarm blaze

18 people, including two children, who were displaced by a fire that went to three alarms overnight in Brockton, received assistance at the scene from the Red Cross.  The fire broke out just after 11:00 p.m. in a triple-decker at 33 Park Street.

When firefighters arrived, heavy fire was showing from the second floor. Two of the residents were injured. One suffered from smoke inhalation and the other had minor burns. No firefighters sustained any injuries fighting the fire. Members of the Red Cross provided sweat suits to the victims who fled the fire in just their pajamas. The city of Brockton provided buses that took the fire victims to a local hotel.

Firefighters found a dog and her litter of puppies inside the building. Six of the 14 puppies perished in the fire.

A candle is believed to have caused the fire. Firefighters remained at the scene mopping up as of 8:00 this morning.

About David Skill

Dave Skill’s radio career began in the fall of 1964 when he arrived on the campus of Holy Cross College in Worcester, MA. Dave barely got his bags unpacked when he paid a visit to WCHC, the campus radio station. And, before he knew it, he was spending so much time as a disc jockey and news writer/reporter, it seemed like he was majoring in “radio” and minoring in academics at “The Cross”. As you might imagine, his grades reflected it! During his junior and senior years, he also worked weekends in news and as a disc jockey at WNEB, the CBS radio affiliate in Worcester at the time.