A woman in her 80′s caught fire Monday afternoon at an assisted living facility in Duxbury.
Duxbury Fire Captain Rob Tripp says crews responded to a medical call at The Village at Duxbury around noon time and were leaving the facility when he stumbled upon a fire, “I went back for an errand; I just came across a car sideways in the road with smoke showing. I thought it was a car fire but when I approached there was a woman inside on fire.”
The car was parked on the grounds of the assisted living facility because the woman, who’s a resident of the facility, was leaving with a friend.
The woman was actively on fire with her clothes in flames. “I kind of pulled her out, grabbed some snow that was right on the side of the road, started throwing snow on her and banging her leg out,” explains Tripp
Her lower legs suffered second degree burns. Tripp believes she’ll make a full and complete recovery. But he notes that the fire was smoking related, “She was a passenger in the car with her friend driving. The friend does smoke cigars. This was a smoking accident, we just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”
Duxbury ambulances were responding to other medical calls when the elderly woman caught fire. Pembroke crews transported her to the hospital.
Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166