Boston: $5 million reward offered for information about art stolen from Gardner Museum

Share Button

On the 23rd anniversary of what officials call the largest property crime in the nation’s history, the FBI announced that they’ve identified two suspects who are believed to have stolen $500 million worth of art from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston.

Special Agent Richard DesLauriers said during a press conference Monday, that in 2010 the investigation accelerated, “FBI agents developed crucial pieces of evidence that confirmed the identities of those who entered the museum and others associated with the theft who belong to a criminal organization.” 

Officials refuse to release the names of the suspects, in fear of hindering the investigation. They also won’t give the name of the crime organization but said it’s based in New England and the mid-Atlantic states. 

A reward up to $5 million is being offered to anyone with information about the whereabouts of the stolen art work, which includes masterpieces by Rembrandt and Degas. 

According to U.S Attorney Carmen Ortiz, the statute of limitations has run out on the actual theft of the art work but others can still be charged with possessing or concealing stolen property.

About Trisha McNeilly

With a Bachelor’s Degree in American Studies from the University of Massachusetts-Boston under her belt, Trisha McNeilly joins us full-time as a general assignment and breaking news reporter having previously interned for WBZ-1030 AM in Boston. A South Shore resident her whole life, McNeilly grew up in Pembroke and is 22-years old.