Around 1p.m. Wednesday, the Whitman Fire Department got a call about a house fire on Simmons Avenue while they were responding to a medical call on the other side of town.
Two Whitman firefighters were tied up with the other call so crews from surrounding towns, like Brockton and East Bridgewater, also responded to the fire.
Whitman Deputy Chief Joe Feeney said everyone made it out of the single-family home without assistance and without injury.
“There were two people outside directing us in; they had gotten out. Everybody was up and awake, it was the middle of the day, so that was a good thing,” said Deputy Chief Feeney
The fire started in the first-floor bathroom and extended to the second-floor as well as the attic. The Whitman home suffered significant damage but Deputy Chief Feeney does not believe it’s a total loss.
The fire is believed to be accidental and it may have been caused by appliances that were in the bathroom. Crews are still investigating.