Hingham District Court: Hanover man who’s charged in connection with March explosions released after nearly a week in jail

Jonathan Allen is now under home confinement between 7p.m. and 6a.m., he’s been ordered to wear a GPS monitor, maintain a job, and not possess any firearms. The 30-year-old was released Thursday.

A judge issued the orders after a dangerousness hearing in which two Hanover police officers testified and said they found 232 homemade explosive devices that Allen was keeping in his father’s shed in Norwell. 

According to police, Allen said he bought the devices from a man at a Marshfield construction site and was planning to set them off at a friend’s house in New Hampshire. Allen also admitted to police that on March 6th he threw two devices out of his car as he was driving on Tower Hill Road in Hanover and then detonated another device at a friend’s house on Union Street more than a week later.

Allen’s attorney, Michael Sacchitella, said it was an error in judgment and described Allen as a hard worker and contributing member of the South Shore community.

More than 30 people were in the courtroom for the hearing, some wrote letters in support of Allen’s release . Sacchitella read a portion of one of the letters during the hearing that was authored by Paul Rosebach, a retired Fire Chief who worked for the Norwell Fire Department for more than three decades, “A letter of support is not something he takes lightly. He feels very strongly that knowing Jonathan, as well as he does, “I would put my name and reputation forward. I understand that he’s fully cooperating with authorities and would expect nothing less.”"

Allen was welcomed by family and friends who clapped and cheered outside of the courtroom as he was released.

He’s scheduled to return to Hingham District Court June 11th for a probable cause hearing.

About Trisha McNeilly

With a Bachelor’s Degree in American Studies from the University of Massachusetts-Boston under her belt, Trisha McNeilly joins us full-time as a general assignment and breaking news reporter having previously interned for WBZ-1030 AM in Boston. A South Shore resident her whole life, McNeilly grew up in Pembroke and is 22-years old.