Weymouth: Officials believe careless disposal of cigarette caused fire

Weymouth Deputy Fire Chief Richard Chase says a pool shed at the Spanish Trace Apartments on Washington Street is destroyed after a fire Wednesday afternoon.

The shed is surrounded by mulch and Deputy Chief Chase believes a cigarette was flicked onto the mulch, causing the fire, “From the mulch, there was heavy wind blowing and it caught a fence on fire and the fence was connected to the shed which eventually caught the shed on fire.”

No one was injured in the fire but the shed contained chemicals which firefighters were cautious of.

“Some concern as we first arrived on scene. There was a lot of chlorine and pool chemicals stored there but the guys did a good job, they masked up for respiratory protection and they were able to get it out,” said Deputy Chief Chase

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Trisha McNeilly

With a Bachelor’s Degree in American Studies from the University of Massachusetts-Boston under her belt, Trisha McNeilly joins us full-time as a general assignment and breaking news reporter having previously interned for WBZ-1030 AM in Boston. A South Shore resident her whole life, McNeilly grew up in Pembroke and is 22-years old.