Governor: Release of suspect photos violated rules


(AP) – Gov. Deval Patrick says a state police sergeant “violated the rules” by releasing photos of the capture of the surviving Boston Marathon bombing suspect.
But the governor did not appear eager to further discuss the release of the photos to Boston Magazine as he walked to his office Friday after a Statehouse event, telling reporters to “talk to the state police.”
State police spokesman David Procopio said earlier that the agency didn’t authorize Sgt. Sean Murphy to release the photos.
Procopio said Murphy had been relieved of duty for one day and an internal hearing would be held.
Murphy told the magazine he was furious over a Rolling Stone cover photo he believed glamorizes suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR’ tsahr-NEYE’-ehv).
State Public Safety Secretary Andrea Cabral, whose office oversees the state police, declined comment.


About WATD Web Editor

WATD online and on-air contributors include, but are not limited to: The Associated Press, Precision Weather Forecasting, local news stringers and reporters, in-house news and internet media staff, Statehouse and town hall reporters, freelance reporters, special feature reporters/producers and on-air radio personnel.