Hanson: Early morning fire blamed on spontaneous combustion

An early morning fire was reported in Hanson, at 579 Pleasant Street, just before 2:30 a.m. Tuesday morning. The fire is being blamed on the spontaneous combustion of a pile of sawdust from floor sanding.

The sawdust was stored in a cardboard box on the exterior rear deck of the house.

The Hanson Fire Department reports that three adults and three children were able to get out safely, thanks to their smoke detectors.

The fire extended from the exterior rear deck into the attic and damage was extensive, with moderate smoke and water damage.

Damage to the home is estimated at approximately $100,000. No injuries were reported.

Station coverage was provided by Pembroke and Halifax at the scene.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Christine James

Christine James is the Managing News Editor, and anchor at WATD. She has been a fixture here since 1990. Along the way in her WATD newsroom journey, she has won numerous broadcast awards including the Associated Press and Edward R. Murrow National Award for "Best Newscast."