Duxbury: Fire crews battle two house fires – one blamed on a candle, the other on gunpowder

A pair of house fires kept Duxbury fire crews busy Sunday night.

Luckily, no injuries were reported in either case.

The first call of fire came in just before 8:00 p.m. at a home at 970 Summer Street.

That fire had broken out in a second floor bedroom destroying everything in the room.

That fire is being blamed on a candle, and resulted in about $50,000 worth of damage to the home.

Firefighters remained on scene mopping up until about 9:30 p.m.

Shortly after that fire had been extinguished, another fire was reported – a basement fire at a home at 20 Sarah’s Circle. That fire caused extensive damage to the basement and caused smoke damage to the rest of the home.

Fire authorites said that the homeowner was loading some gunpowder into a weapon when it apparently ignited.

That fire caused $15,000 damage. Firefighters remained there until early this morning.

The state police and the state fire marshal were called to the scene, but determined that the homeowner had the necessary pemits for the weapons he had.


Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About David Skill

Dave Skill’s radio career began in the fall of 1964 when he arrived on the campus of Holy Cross College in Worcester, MA. Dave barely got his bags unpacked when he paid a visit to WCHC, the campus radio station. And, before he knew it, he was spending so much time as a disc jockey and news writer/reporter, it seemed like he was majoring in “radio” and minoring in academics at “The Cross”. As you might imagine, his grades reflected it! During his junior and senior years, he also worked weekends in news and as a disc jockey at WNEB, the CBS radio affiliate in Worcester at the time... Click here to read more about Dave