The family of James Ward Jr. says it is is celebrating a victory today.
Plymouth District Court Judge Patricia Curtin banned the man accused of killing Ward, Christopher Kelly, 40, of Randolph, from any kind of driving on both public and private roads. He had already had his driver’s license revoked, but was allowed to continue driving off-road ATVs. He is no longer allowed to do any form of driving.
Kelly has been charged with the negligent operation of a dirt bike that resulted in the death of Ward in December 2012.
Ward’s aunt, Rhonda Ray, praised the judge’s decision, because it will stop Kelly from racing at the Capeway Rover’s Motocross track in Middleboro.
“This is a victory. We’ve been waiting for him not to be able to do something that he enjoys every single day. That is something that he loves,” Ray said outside the courthouse. “Why should he be able to get on a dirt bike and do something that he loves to do every day? He should be able to suffer every single day as we do. He should be able to sit and think about what he did that day.”
Kelly’s case was continued to Feb. 28, but his attorney, Jack M. Atwood asked for a change of venue because picketers were lining the court house entrance waving signs “Justice for James” and he’s afraid that might impact a jury.
The judge did not grant Atwood’s request and ruled the case will continue before a presiding judge.