Weymouth Town Council will be continuing meetings with Starwood in hopes of finally coming to an agreement on solutions to move the Southfield project forward.
After Mayor Susan Kay’s public meeting last week, Councilor Robert Conlon is still hoping for more input from Weymouth residents.
“There were a lot of people from Southfield,” Conlon said, “I wanted more input from the constituents…they have to realize, if we make a mistake on Starwood, ten years from now they’re going to be paying out of their pockets. They have to publicly let it be known what they want.”
Conlon held office hours Tuesday morning in hopes that residents would come to discuss Starwood’s proposal further, and to potentially weigh the pros and cons of Mayor Kay’s water proposal for Weymouth to provide water to the base.
Conlon recognized that one of the most important things going forward is to make sure the proposed legislation is good for Weymouth.
“That enabling act that [Starwood] wants to pass…we have to make sure that it’s positive for the Weymouth taxpayers, “Conlon said.
Town Council will be holding a special meeting Monday night, March 10th, to continue discussions with Starwood. Several of the councilors requested that department heads that did not get a chance to present their internal meeting information to the council try to attend this meeting to do so.
Council President Patrick O’Connor said he hopes this meeting will bring them closer to solving the issues at hand, and closer to finalizing an updated draft of the legislation that both parties can agree on.