In Plymouth, Selectmen will again take up the matter of allowing the transfer of a liquor license from Village Vineyards to Walmart at Colony Place. The big box company wants to open a small area for liquor sales within their store—and the price they’re willing to pay for the license is $800,000. Peter Balboni owns Pioppi’s Liquor store, which was established by his grandfather 80 years ago. He’s one of a group of area liquor store owners who object to the transfer on several counts –not the least of which is that in 2006 the town voted 2 to 1 against Question 1 that would have allowed big-box stores the right to sell alcohol. Also, he says the price tag is troubling: “Unfortunately, this will set a precedent going forward that this is going to be the going price for licenses. So it’s not going to allow a lot of people to get into the liquor business unless you’re a large corporate giant.” One of the criteria in granting a liquor license is public need: “And that’s based on the census report done every ten years; and we, currently in Plymouth, are four licenses over the recommended limit.” Originally, Selectmen declined to grant Village Vineyards a license but the ABCC overruled it. At last week’s meeting, Selectmen postponed the matter to tonight in order to review that history. They meet at Plymouth Town Hall at 7:00 p.m..
Listen Live, 24-7, Online!
Whats on WATD now:
- Cathy DeeStarts: 2:00 pmEnds: September 1, 2014 - 6:00 pmLocation: 95.9 WATD FMDescription: Cathy Dee plays the South Shore’s greatest hits, with traffic every 10 minutes on the 9′s with Malcolm Alter every weekday afternoon from 2-6pm on 95.9 WATD FM. Complete with updates from the WATD News Department with local/national news at 4, 5, and 6pm. Visit Cathy's page at http://www.959watd.com/cathyd/
Precision Weather Forecasting
WATD Remote Broadcasts
Like WATD-FM on Facebook
959WATDFM on Twitter
- #WATD Middleboro: Fire at Ocean Spray plant: Authorities are investigating a weekend fire... http://t.co/xz6AHSNYi3 via @SouthShoreNews about 23 hours ago from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #WATD South Shore: Second lawsuit filed against state over medical marijuana: Another Sou... http://t.co/BStAQMqDF4 via @SouthShoreNews about 23 hours ago from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #WATD New Bedford: False alarm cancels water search for missing boy: The Coast Guard says... http://t.co/hPZ9olaC1P via @SouthShoreNews 02:03:44 PM August 31, 2014 from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #WATD Southfield: Outgoing Tri-Town CEO worried for future: The last day on the job was Fr... http://t.co/F2T6cBDMZQ via @SouthShoreNews 12:50:36 PM August 31, 2014 from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
Great local savings!
- For Email Marketing you can trust
About WATD-FM WATD is one of those seemingly impossible ideas which actually worked and has now endured for over three full decades. The idea for the station in Marshfield emerged as the result of a prospecting trip Carol Ebert Perry and Edward Perry made in December of 1972.
Click here to learn more...
WordPress Powered Website - ACTSmart, Inc
Copyright 95.9 WATD FM. All Rights Reserved.
WATD Business Phone: (781) 837-1166 WATD News Room: (781) 837-1169 WATD On Air Phone: (781) 837-4900
95.9 WATD, Marshfield Broadcasting Company, 130 Enterprise Drive, Marshfield, MA 02050