In Plymouth, Selectmen will again take up the matter of allowing the transfer of a liquor license from Village Vineyards to Walmart at Colony Place. The big box company wants to open a small area for liquor sales within their store—and the price they’re willing to pay for the license is $800,000. Peter Balboni owns Pioppi’s Liquor store, which was established by his grandfather 80 years ago. He’s one of a group of area liquor store owners who object to the transfer on several counts –not the least of which is that in 2006 the town voted 2 to 1 against Question 1 that would have allowed big-box stores the right to sell alcohol. Also, he says the price tag is troubling: “Unfortunately, this will set a precedent going forward that this is going to be the going price for licenses. So it’s not going to allow a lot of people to get into the liquor business unless you’re a large corporate giant.” One of the criteria in granting a liquor license is public need: “And that’s based on the census report done every ten years; and we, currently in Plymouth, are four licenses over the recommended limit.” Originally, Selectmen declined to grant Village Vineyards a license but the ABCC overruled it. At last week’s meeting, Selectmen postponed the matter to tonight in order to review that history. They meet at Plymouth Town Hall at 7:00 p.m..
Listen Live, 24-7, Online!
Whats on WATD now:
- South Shore's Morning NewsStarts: 5:00 amEnds: October 22, 2014 - 10:00 amDescription: From local and national news, sports and weather to informative interviews with people from across the south shore and the world, The South Shore’s Morning News is the right way to start your day! Visit http://959watd.com/ssmorningnews for more information.
Precision Weather Forecasting
WATD Remote Broadcasts
Like WATD-FM on Facebook
959WATDFM on Twitter
- #WATD East Bridgewater: Ten years later, Victoria Snelgrove’s mother says it doesn’t get a... http://t.co/C5kRINA8Z0 via @SouthShoreNews about 1 hour ago from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #WATD Middleboro: Fire chief gets an extended contract: This week, Middleboro selectman ra... http://t.co/wG2IURd2Sg via @SouthShoreNews about 2 hours ago from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- #WATD Hull: Fire consumes long-vacant house: After 40 years of sitting vacant, according t... http://t.co/jtKfuu5ATT via @SouthShoreNews about 10 hours ago from twitterfeed ReplyRetweetFavorite
- RT @StvBurns: In #Hull, most of fire is out, just hitting some hot corners. Told house has been vacant for 15 yrs @959watdfm http://t.co/P5… about 16 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone ReplyRetweetFavorite
Great local savings!
- For Email Marketing you can trust
About WATD-FM WATD is one of those seemingly impossible ideas which actually worked and has now endured for over three full decades. The idea for the station in Marshfield emerged as the result of a prospecting trip Carol Ebert Perry and Edward Perry made in December of 1972.
Click here to learn more...
WordPress Powered Website - ACTSmart, Inc
Copyright 95.9 WATD FM. All Rights Reserved.