Scituate: Boat owner walks away from fire

A Scituate man is lucky to be alive after the motorboat he just bought caught fire on Saturday afternoon.

Fire Capt. William Sistito told WATD the unidentified man was in the 22-foot boat outside his parents’ home on Holly Rd., prepping it for the water, when the vessel erupted into flames from an apparent fuel leak a couple of minutes after he started the engine.

Sistito says the victim ended up in the street, but it’s unclear whether he jumped out or was blown out by a small explosion.

He suffered minor burns and leg abrasions and was treated at the scene.

It took crews about 25 minutes to put out the fire.

Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small


About Garo Hagopian

Garo Hagopian has been a member of the WATD family as a weekend news anchor since 2008, and has been a writer-producer-editor at WBZ in Boston since 1996.