Abington: Fire Damages Home on Washington Street

The home at 1,097 Washington Street in Abington. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

The home at 1,097 Washington Street in Abington. Photo credit: Lenny Rowe.

 

A fire heavily damaged the top floor of a home at 1,097 Washington Street in Abington.

Abington Fire Captain Jack Glynn says they were called to the home yesterday evening. Neighbors called it in, saying there was heavy smoke showing from the top of the 2.5 story wood frame building.

“Crews immediately dispatched. They responded, they found heavy fire showing through the roof vent, heavy smoke,” said Glynn. “Crews went in and made an aggressive third-floor attack and they were able to knock the fire down, contain it to the third floor.”

The home was occupied at the time, but Glynn said there are no injuries.

Mutual aid from Whitman, Rockland, Holbrook, Avon, a CERT team, and Hanson provided station coverage.

“With the heat, we pulled an extra ambulance just to have on standby for the guys in case they needed it,” said Glynn.

He said they were able to contain the fire in 10 to 15 minutes.  

As for the cause of the fire, Glynn believes it was an electric fan in the attic, but they’re still investigating.


Reach Thousands of Potential Customers on The South Shore and Beyond! Call WATD Today for More Info on Radio and Internet Advertising: (781) 837-1166

watd signal 2017 small

Advertising


About Lenny Rowe

Lenny Rowe is one of the newest additions to the WATD News team. He grew up in Pembroke and was an intern at WATD in 2012. A 2016 graduate from Suffolk University, Lenny left the City of Boston and now lives in Rockland. Lenny has covered both news and sports, from the trial of James "Whitey" Bulger to the Boston Bruins at TD Garden. Outside of WATD, Lenny covers high school sports for The Boston Globe. Lenny can be reached at Lenny.Rowe30@Gmail.com