Hanover: Apartment Fire Caused by Overloaded Outlet

For the second time in a week, Hanover crews battled a fire in an apartment that had non-functioning smoke detectors.

Deputy Fire Chief Barbara Stone told WATD the blaze broke out Sunday morning in the apartment above Squires Restaurant at 1202 Washington St.

A six-year-old boy woke up at approximately 6:00 a.m. and found his room on fire.

He and two others were in the apartment and all managed to get out safely.

Fire officials say an overloaded electrical outlet sparked the blaze.

Stone said the restaurant will be closed for a couple of days to repair water damage.

It turned out that there were no batteries in the smoke detectors, and fire officials say this should serve as a reminder to make sure your detectors are working properly.

About Garo Hagopian

Garo Hagopian has been a member of the WATD family as a weekend news anchor since 2008, and has been a writer-producer-editor at WBZ in Boston since 1996.